Thursday

President Obama - Gay Marriage: 'Gay Couples Should Be Able to Get Marriage" (Video/Transcript)





Transcript
"I have to tell you as I said, I have gone through an evolution on this issue, I have always been adamant that gay and lesbian American should be treated fairly and equally. And that's why in addition to everything we have done in this administration rolling back don't ask don't tell so that outstanding Americans can serve our country, whether it's no longer defending the defense against the marriage act which try to federalize uh what is historically state law. I have stood on the side of broader equality for the LGBG (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community and I hesitated, on  gay marriage in part because I thought civil unions would be sufficient, but that was something that would give people hospital visitation rights and other elements that we take for granted, uh  and I was sensitive to the fact, that for a lot of people the word marriage was something that evokes very powerful tradition, religious beliefs and so forth.
 But I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that 'don't ask, don't tell' is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married. "

No comments: